Camp Swim Instructor
Per hour: $30
Reports to: Camp Director
Under the supervision of the Camp Director, the swim instructor will lead group lessons for 2-5-year-olds in a fun, safe, and inviting learning environment to ensure a positive swim camp experience in accordance with the Y Aquatic Policy and Y Aquatic Safety Standards & Guidelines. Ensuring the students are water safe by the end of the session.
- Embody an outgoing and enthusiastic personality at all times.
- Reports to work in uniform a minimum of ten minutes prior to the assigned class
Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Instructs classes in accordance with Y policies, including covering all class components and using proper teaching techniques.
- Responsible for attending all scheduled classes within a session; when an absence is unavoidable, secure a substitute and provide lesson plans for that substitute.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the Y such as class attendance and performance skills.
- Maintains a constant watch on all class participants and ensures the highest level of safety during the class.
- Maintains effective, positive relationships with the students and other staff.
- Ensures the health and safety of all students by knowing, understanding, and consistently enforcing safety rules, policies, procedures, and regulations for the pool and aquatic area.
- Teaches with enthusiasm and creativity
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with Y policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
- Maintains all required certifications for the position while employed.
- Exercise good judgment and communicate concerns to your supervisor.
- Keep the pool area and equipment clean, neat, and organized.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by the Camp Director.
- Attends and participates in all in-service training and staff meetings.
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor
- ARC (or equivalent) CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- ARC (or equivalent) First Aid
- ARC (or equivalent) WSI preferred
- Experience teaching swim lessons
- Being familiar with the Emergency Action Plan for the Facility
- Participating in continuing education activities through both internal and external sessions to promote an on-going development of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for lifeguards.
- Physical effort required for daily duties includes lifting heavy weights, squatting, bending, reaching, spotting, and prolonged standing/walking.
- Must be able to lift and/or move up 50+ pounds