Early Childhood Assistant Teacher
POSITION SUMMARY: Works alongside head to teacher to educate and care for children, create classroom community and partner with families.
- Help maintain a child-centered classroom environment that is inviting and clean
- Carry out appropriate and positive discipline established in accordance with the philosophy of the school
- Help to ensure the safety and welfare of the children and protects each from physical or emotional harm.
- This includes performing all tasks with an appropriate level of confidentiality.
- Supervise and interact with children at all times; snack times, rest periods, diapering/restroom times, play times, and activity times.
- Maintain observation records and other required classroom logs correctly.
- Know all health and emergency policies of the program and is ready to implement them if necessary.
- Help with general housekeeping tasks.
- Maintain appropriate communication with staff, children, and families at all times.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Step in for different teachers to provide lunch breaks.
Skills and Competencies
- Maintain a professional attitude at all times.
- Knowledge of developmentally appropriate practice and resources related to the field
- Flexibility to work in a fast-paced environment and the energy and patience required to keep pace with a large number of young children
- Ability to stay focused on multi-year goals and objectives and to approach a variety of challenges with enthusiasm, compassion and energy
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with parents, children and co-workers
- Belief in fostering development of the whole child – intellectually, socially, physically and emotionally
- Knowledge of child cognitive, social, and skills development methods and techniques.
- Knowledge of play, reading, and quiet-time activities for children.
- Child supervision skills.
- Ability to provide basic nutrition and hygiene services for young children.
Salary Range $18-$20 a hour depending on experience and education level