Market Co-Manager, Riverdale Y Sunday Market
Job Summary: The Riverdale Y is offering a wonderful opportunity for an experienced, entrepreneurial community organizer, who is familiar with the sustainable agriculture movement, to work closely with the current manager in continuing to develop a thriving market.
Overview: The Riverdale Y Sunday Market provides fresh, high quality food grown or produced locally to within 100 miles. This family friendly seasonal market is a community building gathering place for shopping and socializing, providing activities for children and parents. The market also fosters a direct connection between local shoppers and the small scale farmers and food producers who the market champions. The market works to support sustainable agricultural practices.
Collaborate with Manager to:
● Manage the overall operations of the Market 2-3 Sundays per month
● Research and recruit local farmers and vendors to participate in the Market
● Work closely with Y financial, program, and administrative staff to ensure proper financial
and program management of the Market
● Work closely the Y marketing department to promote the Market through both traditional and social media
● Oversee placement of vendors and manage onsite issues as needed
● Order, organize, and arrange for transport (to and from) of all Market materials
● Oversee sales and financial records of Y cafe
● Warm and welcoming personality, relating well to children and adults
● Calm under pressure, customer service oriented, flexible, and possessing a good sense of humor
● Strong interpersonal skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Highly Organized with attention to detail and follow through
● Self starter with entrepreneurial approach
● Familiarity with Jewish holidays, traditions and culture
● Ability to work collaboratively as part of the Riverdale Y team
● Community building/organizing experience within the Bronx and/or Yonkers.
● Excellent computer skills and experience using social media for marketing and communication purposes.
● Experience supervising support staff and volunteers
● Experience in community organizing, managing green markets or similar operations
● Experience working with the Jewish community a plus.
This position is seasonal. Required time commitment:
From April 1 to May 5: 4-6 office hours per week (with flexibility in scheduling)
From May 6 to November 30: 7-9 on-site market hours and/or 2-4 office hours per week.
Compensation: $15-20 per hour, dependent upon experience