Per hour: $30
Reports to: Aquatics Coordinator
Under the supervision of the Aquatics Instructor, the swim instructor will lead
group lessons for all ages in a fun, safe, and inviting learning environment to
ensure a positive swim camp experience in accordance with the Y Aquatic
Policy and Y Aquatic Safety Standards & Guidelines. Ensuring the students are
water safe by the end of the session.
● Embody an outgoing and enthusiastic personality at all times.
● Reports to work in uniform a minimum of ten minutes prior to the assigned class
● Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
● Instructs classes in accordance with Y policies, including covering all class components and using proper teaching techniques.
● Responsible for attending all scheduled classes within a session; when an absence is unavoidable, secure a substitute and provide lesson plans for that
● Maintains accurate records as required by the Y such as class attendance and performance skills.
● Maintains a constant watch on all class participants and ensures the highest level of safety during the class.
● Maintains effective, positive relationships with the students and other staff.
● Ensures the health and safety of all students by knowing, understanding, and consistently enforcing safety rules, policies, procedures, and regulations for the
pool and aquatic area.
● Teaches with enthusiasm and creativity
● Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with Y policies and procedures. Completes related
reports as required.
● Maintains all required certifications for the position while employed.
● Exercise good judgment and communicate concerns to your supervisor.
● Keep the pool area and equipment clean, neat, and organized.
● Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by the Aquatics Coordinator.
● Attends and participates in all in-service training and staff meetings.
● Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor
● ARC (or equivalent) CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
● ARC (or equivalent) First Aid
● ARC (or equivalent) WSI preferred
● Experience teaching swim lessons
● Being familiar with the Emergency Action Plan for the Facility
● Participating in continuing education activities through both internal and external sessions to promote an on-going development of the knowledge, skills, and
abilities required for lifeguards.
● Physical effort required for daily duties includes lifting heavy weights, squatting, bending, reaching, spotting, and prolonged standing/walking.
● Must be able to lift and/or move up 50+ pounds