- Summer Stage Menu
Welcome to Summer Stage 2022!
Summer Stage Performing Arts Intensive
This summer we will be redirecting the goals of Summer Stage from those of a camp to those of a musical theatre training intensive. Along with this shift in focus, comes a number of other changes.
Tracked Classes vs. Age Groups
In the past, classes have been grouped by age. All 4th graders would have dance together, 5th graders would have acting together, etc. While this model offered certain positives, we have decided that tracking classes by skill level rather than by age will create an environment where students’ individual skills will be able to be adequately challenged and nurtured, providing the most rewarding results. In order to determine class level, the first two days of our intensive will be dedicated to auditions, both for our mainstage musical as well as for classes. On day three, each student will receive their own personal schedule with the class placements that we believe will most benefit them.
New Classes and Electives
With our new focus on rigorous training, we will be shifting a number of our classes. Students will now participate in jazz and ballet classes as required studio dance classes, seeing as these are the two main styles of dance that influence musical theatre choreography. In these classes, students will learn technique as well as choreography. Other dance classes (tap, hip-hop, modern etc) will be offered as electives.
Master Class Fridays
This summer we will be bringing back the Master Class Fridays that Summer Stage used to offer in the past. These may include audition workshops, Broadway guests, stage combat training, Shakespeare and more.
We are thrilled to bring these changes to Summer Stage, and cannot wait to provide these young artists with an optimal musical theatre training experience.
- Full Summer: June 28 – August 5
- Session I: June 28 – July 15
- Session II: July 18 – August 5
Number of Days / Hours
- 5 Days: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Early Drop Off starts at 8:00 am
- Late Stay up to 6:00 pm
- Full Summer: General Rate: $4,100; Member Rate: $3,700
- Summer Session I: General Rate: $2,700. Member Rate: $2,400
- Summer Session II: General Rate: $2,700. Member Rate: $2,400
Contact the Director
The arts have the power to transform people and communities. There has never been a better time in our country to have an outlet for discovery of your own self-expression. The Riverdale Performing Arts Center is home to vibrant performances and professional training. We nurture passion for theater, music and dance in people of all ages and skill levels.
Building upon the strength of our thriving programs, we have added some incredible theater arts professionals who are not only working Actors, Directors, Dancers and Musicians, but a faculty committed to bringing professional training to those who want to keenly develop their performing skills or to provide an atmosphere of joy and camaraderie to those who simply want to have fun!
New This Year:
- All participants in Jr. Rising Stars and Rising Stars will receive individual evaluations and class recommendations from our faculty, based on our Fall Audition Process.
- All Jr. Rising Stars and Rising Stars will be taking a Theater Dance class as part of their rehearsal process
- The formation of THE TROUPE, our new traveling performance group. The Troupe will be selected from among our Theater, Dance & Music School students. We will create 30-45 minute revues with both original music/dance as well as featured songs from Broadway musicals. The Troupe will be available to entertain at area hospitals, senior centers, street fairs, community gatherings, special political events or wherever they can brighten someone’s day!
- New music classes that include Vocal Ensembles, Beats & Buckets, Group Guitar, Womans’ Choral Group celebrating music of the 1960s & 1970s.
- Focus in the music department in Voice, Drumming & all Orchestra Instruments, in addition to Piano, Violin & Guitar
- Acting Classes in Film/Television, Improv, Commercials, Scene Study, Stage Acting Basics –highlighted by Guest Artists who will offer Master Classes that will culminate in auditions for Casting & Talent Agents.
We remain dedicated to bringing quality performances to the Bronx. We are tremendously excited about the season ahead and what these new enrichment opportunities will bring to our community. This array of Performing Arts classes for children of all ages AND adults promises to raise our award-winning program to another level.
My 5 year old’s lesson
My daughter loves her piano teacher and the relaxed family atmosphere in the music program at the Riverdale Y. We think the level of instruction is top flight too, and her progress has been amazing!Erich Schneiderman Music School
One of a kind
I just want to say thank you (Laurie) for being you! In all the years and all the groups I’ve worked with, I have never found someone so dedicated to the people and the process.RRS Alumnus theater
New in Riverdale
…the kids had to start over their learning of instruments with new music teachers…Thanks to the Y, we met a great piano and violin teacher in the person of Beulah Cox, a two-in-one musician, a real professional and educator, as I am sure are the rest of the musicians of the Rhoda Grundman Music School.Nathalie