- Summer Stage Menu
Summer Stage – Theatre Arts Camp
Musical Theatre Mainstage
3rd grade-9th grade
Participants will audition, rehearse, and perform a Full Scale Musical (shows TBA) in each three-week session. This advanced track integrates training with rehearsals ensuring that all will be simultaneously preparing for performance as well as enhancing their skills.
Musical Theatre Revue
3rd grade-9th grade
Participants will have the opportunity to further develop their skills in all aspects of musical theatre performance by taking classes in acting, voice, and dance as well as preparing for an end-of-session Musical Revue. This track is geared towards those who want to focus on developing their skills in preparation for more advanced projects in the future. Our Musical Theatre Revue track offers a little bit of everything – some training workshops as well as some performance experience!
3rd grade-9th grade
Participants will audition, rehearse, and perform a Full Scale Play or One Act Festival (shows TBA) in each three-week session. This performance track will focus in all areas of non-musical acting where all will be integrating training with rehearsals
Please note that participation in Musical Theatre or Acting is by audition only. All Musical Theatre participants will audition and be placed in either Mainstage or Revue.
Technical Theatre (SESSION 1 Only)
5th grade -10th grade
This is a production track & technical training in the “behind the scenes” of theatre production. Culminating in Running Crew for the performance tracks’ shows.
Multimedia Storytelling (SESSION 2 Only)
5th grade – 10th grade
production/performance track with an emphasis on creating a Fully Realized Media Project from scratch. With opportunities for Creative Writing, Film Acting, Production.
Please note that placement in our Technical Theatre or Multimedia Storytelling tracks require an interview for proper course study/placement purposes.
One-Week Summer Stage Intensive
8th grade-High School Graduates
Exceptional training with Broadway Actors who will lead a series of Master Classes in performance, training and audition technique. Week will culminate in a Performance for Industry Professionals who will offer feedback. Participation in this intensive requires an audition.
August 8 – 12
Tuition: General $700, Y Member $650
Need-Based & Artistic Scholarships are available. If interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Full Summer: June 28 – August 5
- Session I: June 28 – July 15
- Session II: July 18 – August 5
Number of Days / Hours
- 5 Days: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Early Drop Off starts at 8:00 am
- Late Stay up to 6:00 pm
- Full Summer: General Rate: $4,100; Member Rate: $3,700
- Summer Session I: General Rate: $2,700. Member Rate: $2,400
- Summer Session II: General Rate: $2,700. Member Rate: $2,400
Contact the Director
What’s New in Summer Stage 2022!
Summer Stage: Theatre Arts Camp
This summer we will be redirecting the goals of Summer Stage from those of a camp to those of a musical theatre training intensive. Along with this shift in focus, comes a number of other changes.
Tracked Classes vs. Age Groups
In the past, classes have been grouped by age. All 4th graders would have dance together, 5th graders would have acting together, etc. While this model offered certain positives, we have decided that tracking classes by skill level rather than by age will create an environment where students’ individual skills will be able to be adequately challenged and nurtured, providing the most rewarding results. The first few days of camp will be used to place students in their classes. Auditions for MAINSTAGE will be held in late May and early June, PRIOR to the sessions
With our new tracks we are thrilled to offer more opportunities for exceptional training, performance, and production opportunities. Students will now participate in jazz and ballet classes as required studio dance classes, since these are the two main styles of dance that influence musical theatre choreography. In these classes, students will learn technique as well as choreography.
We are thrilled to bring these changes to Summer Stage, and cannot wait to provide these young artists with an optimal musical theatre training experience.
The arts have the power to transform people and communities. There has never been a better time in our country to have an outlet for discovery of your own self-expression. The Riverdale Performing Arts Center is home to vibrant performances and professional training. We nurture passion for theater, music and dance in people of all ages and skill levels.
Building upon the strength of our thriving programs, we have added some incredible theater arts professionals who are not only working Actors, Directors, Dancers and Musicians, but a faculty committed to bringing professional training to those who want to keenly develop their performing skills or to provide an atmosphere of joy and camaraderie to those who simply want to have fun!
New This Year:
- All participants in Jr. Rising Stars and Rising Stars will receive individual evaluations and class recommendations from our faculty, based on our Fall Audition Process.
- All Jr. Rising Stars and Rising Stars will be taking a Theater Dance class as part of their rehearsal process
- The formation of THE TROUPE, our new traveling performance group. The Troupe will be selected from among our Theater, Dance & Music School students. We will create 30-45 minute revues with both original music/dance as well as featured songs from Broadway musicals. The Troupe will be available to entertain at area hospitals, senior centers, street fairs, community gatherings, special political events or wherever they can brighten someone’s day!
- New music classes that include Vocal Ensembles, Beats & Buckets, Group Guitar, Womans’ Choral Group celebrating music of the 1960s & 1970s.
- Focus in the music department in Voice, Drumming & all Orchestra Instruments, in addition to Piano, Violin & Guitar
- Acting Classes in Film/Television, Improv, Commercials, Scene Study, Stage Acting Basics –highlighted by Guest Artists who will offer Master Classes that will culminate in auditions for Casting & Talent Agents.
We remain dedicated to bringing quality performances to the Bronx. We are tremendously excited about the season ahead and what these new enrichment opportunities will bring to our community. This array of Performing Arts classes for children of all ages AND adults promises to raise our award-winning program to another level.
One of a kind
I just want to say thank you (Laurie) for being you! In all the years and all the groups I’ve worked with, I have never found someone so dedicated to the people and the process.RRS Alumnus theater
to the RRS team
You have touched my life in ways that you can not possibly comprehend, and for that I thank you. And thank you times infinity.RRS Participant
Not just a teacher, but a friend.
Laurie….I have learned and grown so much under your instruction and teaching. But even more than that, you have been such an incredible mentor in my life. You haven’t been just a director; you have been a friend. Your tireless devotion to RRS and to all of us has moved and impacted me so much….No one else could take a bunch of immature, obnoxious kids and turn them into graceful adults the way you have.Participant theater